A good friend of mine recently posted as her Facebook status the question, “What is your favorite word?” What a great question. But in the moment I panicked. I thought, how can I pick just one favorite word when there are so many wonderful words to choose from?
Let’s face it. I love words. Yep, I’m a word nerd.
Not wanting to commit to a single, solitary word at the time, I offered up a few of my least favorite words instead. I couldn’t commit so I deflected. I needed time to think. It felt like I’d been asked to select a favorite child or film or song from the 80s. I mean, there are too many really good ones.
Also, much like sexual positions, doesn’t it kind of depend on my mood?
If I’m feeling happy, I might lean towards words like love or yellow or sunshine. On the other hand, if I’m angry I might drop an F-bomb or 2 or maybe even a C-U-Next-Tuesday. I’m not afraid to use either.
I thought long and hard about my favorites and least favorites. Unfortunately I still couldn’t commit to just one in either category so, rather than force it, I decided to compile a Top 10 list for each.
Here you go…
- Fuck – It’s the best word to get my point across in any given situation. Fuck you. Fuck me. Fuck the world. Fuckin’ A (old school). Fuck yeah! Fuckedy-fuck-fuck.
- Awesome – Because it’s awesome. That’s why.
- Mommy – This one melts me on a regular basis. Any sentence that either begins or ends with mommy is a good one. Fact.
- Thank you – While technically 2 words, it deserves a spot in my top 10. I use the phrase frequently and honestly believe everyone should. There are infinite reasons to be thankful. We should make it a point to say so more often.
- Laughter – Perhaps my favorite activity also.
- Love – Who doesn’t love love?
- Monosyllabic – I love that a word that means 1 syllable is, in fact, comprised of 5 syllables.
- Mulch – Come on, it’s so much fun to say. Say it! MULCH!!
- Yay! – Because you can’t say it without the exclamation! It kind of makes you want to clap too, doesn’t it?
- Uranus – Did you know that Uranus is currently retrograde? Better eat more fiber!
- Lover – Ick.
- Bestie – Unless we’re 16 and splitting a BFF charm, do we really have to be besties? Can’t we just be really good friends?
- Ants – I don’t like ants. The word makes me itch.
- Rape – This is one of those words I feel gets thrown around too lightly. It’s a serious word for a serious matter. And, in my opinion, any alternate use is reducing the severity of the offense. For example: While you might not enjoy paying your taxes, the government is not raping you so get over it.
- Moist – Unless you’re describing cake, it’s probably best to leave this one alone too (OK, even if you’re describing cake!)
- Finger – Even when used innocently, this word strikes a vulgar chord.
- Phlegm – Ew. Even the word sounds phlegmy. Doesn’t it?
- No – I like yes much better.
- Pecker – Can we please resolve to leave this word in the 70s or 80s or wherever, whenever it was born? Every single time I think it has died, I lower my pecker guard and then someone manages to bring it back to life and smack me in the face with it (so to speak). In a nutshell, if I never-ever-ever again hear some idiot refer to his own penis as his pecker, it will be too soon. Ugh.
- Flan – Thanks to the warm, oozy, day-old flan I was forced to consume back in high school Spanish class on the same dreadful day I coincidentally came down with a rather volatile case of stomach flu, the look, the smell, the thought and, yes, even the word flan still gives me the cold sweats.
Thank you to Jennifer Sexton Riviezzo for the inspiration to blog about this!